Blood panels test for certain diseases and conditions as well as the function of organs and effectiveness of treatments.
Specifically, blood tests can help doctors:
- Evaluate how well organs—such as the kidneys, liver, thyroid and heart—are working
- Diagnose diseases and conditions such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, diabetes, anemia and coronary heart disease
- Find out whether you have risk factors for heart disease
- Check whether medicines you’re taking are working
- Assess how well your blood is clotting